Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2-Dimensional Politics

Driving home from work I passed this sign.

"CLOSED DUE TO OBAMANOMICS."
Obama seems to have it out for these poor bakeries, if we take their word for it.  I've been to this bakery twice and was dissapointed both times, but maybe Obama is sabatoging their ovens and recipes?

I've been asked a lot about where I lie on the political spectrum lately.  People call me a "lefty", but I try to explain that summarizing the political spectrum into a single line is a terribly difficult thing to do.

I think that at worst there needs to be two dimension, with up and down representing government authority, and left to right representing fiscal policy.  

*Image from Political Compass

The term's "left" and "right" seem to have been rooted deeply in our two party system.  They try to establish that there are two base sets of beliefs, and that either someone is in line with your ideals or not.  It's hard to label people if they're spread out across a two dimensional map.  As such, I try to spread the idea whenever these conversations come up: "I'm a lower left".  Where do you stand?

I did my fair share of complaining when Bush was in office, I guess it's my turn to patiently listen to the realistic problems Obama will introduce/has introduced.  And to do so without a "us" and "them" mentality, but realizing we're all different and hopefully through everyone's conflicting ideals we manage to come up with an optimal solution.  I hope that one day we have a political system that can more realistically represent people's positions and be less focused on opposing a single group of "opposite" minded people.

9 comments:

  1. Whats your score?
    Economic Left/Right: -7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

    It's probably less to do with Obama and more to do with the fact that they hid the door in the back of the building, plus that's been like a bunch of different businesses since I've seen it. I went once but couldn't figure out how to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -6.88
    -4.36

    Lower Left...

    Agreed that left/right axioms can be divisive. Yet, confrontation often seems to be the way to social change. Examples abound: South Africa, India, our revolution, boycotts of Burger King, Redwood Summer, etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extreme lower left:
    Economic Left/Right: -8.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

    Post your scores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my dad take this test, he was in the middle, about halfway to the top. Doesn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Economic Left/Right: -6.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

    Apparently I don't know many people that aren't hippies. You guys make me look moderate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Economic Left/Right: -1.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.03

    Pretty close to the origin, as I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, I do have non extremist friends afterall :)

    ReplyDelete