Friday, September 17, 2010

AT Day 6

The final day.  At slightly more than a wobble pace, we decide to skip the last section of the AT and come into Damascus on the Virginia Creeper trail.  The Creeper Trail is an old converted train bed.  Very slight downhill grade the entire way with flat smooth gravel.

It's 10 miles into Damascus from where we started.  My max speed in my current condition is about one mile an hour.  Taking breaks at the benches, I slowly work my way into town and stop at the first store.  Milkshakes. Allan and My stomaches are both upset, but the ice cream seems to settle them a bit.

It seems I've become mortal.  I can't simply rely on my youth to get me through these adventures.  Planning and conditioning are necessary.  I don't think I could have made it another step.

Lauren picked us up in Damascus and brought us back to eat and lounge for the remainder of the day.  My couch has never felt so comfortable.  And I never thought I'd be so happy to have fresh filtered water dispensed at the click of a button from my fridge.   Not to mention the shower...

I weight in 27 pounds lighter than the weekend before I left.  Most of the weight is probably skin from my feet and brain matter.  Definitely an extreme experience.

Summary:
10 miles.  Slow, but steady.  Last day of suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment