Sunday, August 15, 2010

August 15: Devil's Bathtub (almost)

So I had a big hike planned for Today. I invited all my friends and set everything in motion. We were to hike a trail to Devil's Bathtub, a crystal clear 12 foot swimming whole and small waterfall.

We embarked on our trip from my place around 1:00pm. It immediately began to pour(as it has every day this week). It was raining to the point where you couldn't see anything above around 35 miles an hour. I should have taken this as a sign that we were just not meant to hike, but nonetheless we continued on.

We got lost. We were in the middle of nowhere, with no cell phone reception, and the only people we passed were on horseback. After 45 minutes of driving and exploring a deer trail we had hoped might be the path, a young lady on her horse stopped and helped explain where the road was. Despite the cries from my comrades to return home early, we set out again in search of Devil's Bathtub.

As we approached the final road, we were dismayed to find that the torrential downpour from earlier had washed out the road, and it was traversable. Disappointed, we begin the hour long ride back.

So today marks my third day of failing to make it outside. Our hike was replaced with a 3.5 hour car ride through the boonies.

Here's the swimming hole we almost saw.


And here the bathtub where it gets it's name:


I promised my friends I'd at least show them pictures of what we were going to see. Oh well, despite the curve-balls life threw us today, we still had a great time grilling out and watching Futurama at Nick's afterwards.

23 days and counting until my week long Appalachian Trail hike.


3 comments:

  1. Don't forget Pandorum, one of the most underrated movies ever, along with one of the most underrated actors ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does! Didn't you see the pictures? We'll have to go again so I can prove it to you.

    ReplyDelete